Baked Oatmeal - inspired by Budget Bytes
Makes 4 large servings
Preheat oven to 350
2 very ripe bananas, mashed - about 1 cup of mash
2 tablespoons brown sugar - totally optional, and very good without the added sugar
2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups oats
2 cups raspberries - I use frozen
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a baking dish you can cover with a lid or tinfoil. Chop nuts and set aside.
Mash bananas and stir in eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar (if using) baking powder and baking soda. Stir to combine and then add in oats and raspberries. Stir to combine and pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with chopped nuts and bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
This is delicious warm, and I like it just as well cold. This is a super adaptable recipe!
A few variations on this recipe...
- Omit raspberries and using one mashed banana add 1/2 cup of peanut butter and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Heaven.
- I've used blueberries, strawberries and blackberries in this recipe. All delicious, but raspberries are my faves.
- I've used chopped apples in place of the berries.
- I've used apple sauce instead of bananas.
- I've used pumpkin puree in place of the bananas and added pumpkin pie spice to the cinnamon already in the recipe.
- New parents - this is a wonderful thing to have around as you fight off exhaustion and a severe need for calories.
Things made this time last year...
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes